Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Mid-Day Report

Well, this morning was interesting to say the least. As it turns out I was cooped up from the time I got home from work yesterday afternoon until this morning (in the comfort of my well-heated apartment). I had no idea what I was about to encounter when I soon stepped out to head in for work.

I got up extremely early today (as in I ONLY hit the snooze button once rather than my customary six snoozes). On this morning, I had no appetite. I was almost reluctant to eat, but I knew it was imperative given the emphasis Ferris places on the subject of breakfast in his book. I whipped up a breakfast-in-a-cup (I have a feeling I'll be "enjoying" a ton of this for the next few weeks ;) consisting two scrambled eggs, the last of those damn SW black beans, a bit of kale sauteed in a dab of homemade roasted garlic oil, and a few walnuts to go along with some cinnamon-spiked coffee. It was tasty, but if I'm being honest I really had to force the whole thing down. Oh well, down the gully.

As open the front door, to my shock everything my eyes could identify in the dimly lit morning was blanketed by snow! I guess I didn't get the memo that Austin was going to turn into the North Pole overnight. So naturally because of the inclement weather I would turn around immediately, call in to work, and get back into bed, right? Nope. I don't know what drug I was on that convinced me to go in, but I did. The drive was definitely an adventure (the folks that are not used to these sort of conditions stand out when you see a truck going 70 down an icy highway), and 8 strange hours later I left to see most of the snow had melted away and left us with a perfect Austin winter day.

I picked up a few groceries. A good habit of mine that I STRONGLY recommend to those who want to eat more home-cooked meals versus eating out as much is to prep your produce FIRST thing when you get home from the grocery store. Spending that little extra time will leave you with a stocked fridge of prepared veggies that are ready to be steamed, sauteed, grilled or whatever. This will cut down on your cooking time vastly throughout the week (a common gripe is that cooking at home is too time consuming). This process also leaves you with a pile of vegetable ends and trimmings that can be dropped in a pot, covered in water, and made into a stock. If you prepped your veggies one at a time, you wouldn't be left with enough ends to justify making a stock, and consequently most of the pieces would end up being discarded (a good cook wastes nothing).

Anyways, enough for now. I'm going to try to force down some food and go on living my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment