Monday, February 7, 2011

Day Six (Cheat Day 1.0): February 6, 2011

I made it to my first "cheat day" with an unblemished week (for the most part). Just a quick review:
Rule #4: Take one day off per week

I recommend Saturdays as your “Dieters Gone Wild” day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. I make myself a little sick and don’t want to look at any of it for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function, etc.) doesn’t downregulate from extended caloric restriction. That’s right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia.


I mean, the information is there. So what did I do? I indulged on my cheat day. Big time. It just so happened that this was Super Bowl Sunday, a PERFECT day to lift any and all food restrictions. It's just the American thing to do. I kicked off the day with a breakfast of chicken tenders as I got started on my contribution to the Super Bowl watching party I would be attending: chocolate covered bacon and chocolate-walnut dipped bananas!

My method was really simple. I started by halving the bananas and giving them a quick freeze in the freezer (so they would hold there integrity through the process).
Next, I rendered the bacon in a 325 degree oven until they were brown and crispy (about 30 minutes). As the bacon cooked and the bananas froze, I melted about 2 lbs of Hershey's chocolate bars in a double boiler. The rest was merely a matter of assembly. I would be lying if I said I didn't graze around the kitchen in search of anything and everything I could dip in the melted chocolate I had on hand... a good opportunity, ya know?

The bacon and bananas were a big hit. They were a great complement to the sliders, mac and cheese, more chicken tenders, chips and queso, guacamole, salsa, empanadas, chili, and spinach artichoke dip I stuffed my face with (not to mention the beer and whiskey). It was a truly delectable experience.

I went into the day excited about the prospect of a guiltless day of gluttony, but it quickly turned into a guilt filled evening as I lay comfortably on the couch, my belly full after housing close to 4,000 calories on the day (and that might be a
conservative estimate). I kept track of my consumption to start the day, but I had given up on that task by halftime as my consumption rate elevated to untrackable levels. If the intention was to make me shun off carbs and sweets for the rest of the week, I have a feeling it will prove to be effective. I feel like Jabba the Hut.

I'm going to head into week two with my foot on the gas peddle. I vow to step up the physical activity, maybe get a couple of loooong runs in this week, and boost the intake of vegetables relative to the protein I consume. We're going to prove Mr. Ferris right this week. I know it.

2 comments: