Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day Eleven, Friday, February 11, 2011

Man, sleeping in feels gooooood sometimes. I rolled out of bed around 11:00 (probably closer to 12:00, actually) and had a bowl of borracho beans, cottage cheese and tomatoes along with some yerba mate. I made the fatal mistake of running out of eggs. Damn you, breakfast with no eggs!

I had a cup of coffee to rev me up for a little afternoon tennis match with Taylor followed by a sweet Turkish get-up workout. In all it was close to 4 hours of physical activity. You know what that means...time to eat!

I ran into a problem that I feel many run into: I did not have a plan for my next meal. I was hungry after an extensive workout and needed to eat soon. This is an inflexion point where I feel most have the greatest opportunity to be led astray in their food choices. When our options are limited is when we most often decide on the fast food, the junk food, the generally bad food choices that sound good on the spot. "Damn, I'm starving. I could really go for some broccoli." Doesn't happen that way. I was driving around, on the prowl for some grub, and luckily I crossed paths with a Central Market. The light bulb went off and I pulled over to scope out there salad bar.

I ended up, as most of us usually do, with a much larger portion than I probably needed. The rub with a salad bar: everything looks good, so good in fact that I ended up with a 1 1/4 lb. salad! My beastly clamshell box was almost overflowing with spinach, spring mix, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, beets, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, and walnuts with a light dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Couple this with a piece of turkey meatloaf that I couldn't resist picking up as well, and I was out the door for a whopping $14! Seems a little steep for an 8 oz piece of meatloaf and a salad. Oh well, I'll just consider this a tax for being unprepared.

All in all I was happy with my food decision. At this point I think it's better that my wallet took a hit rather than my calorie intake. The salad was complex and filling while the turkey meatloaf was ridiculously tasty on top of some of yesterday's cauliflower puree. Mmmmm.
Here is how today went:
water: 12
yerba mate (3 c)
coffee (1 c)
borracho beans (1 c)
cottage cheese (1/4 c)
tomatoes (1/4 c)
cauliflower puree (1 c)
turkey chili meatloaf (8 oz)
salad (1 #)
[spring mix, spinach, broccoli, bell pepper, hard boiled egg, tomato, artichoke hearts, beets, carrots, chickpeas, kidney beans, walnuts, grilled chicken, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.]


That's right, only two meals today. I don't know if this is good or bad. Generally, I'm more of a grazer, but I find it harder to monitor consumption when I'm just knoshing around so I try to stick to clearly defined meals. Either way, I feel good and I feel lighter although I am not visually seeing a ton of results. That is not to say much, I've never been very good at seeing changes in my own physique. The important thing, I guess, is that I'm still chugging along. Stay the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment