Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cheat Day 3.0


I went into cheat day 3.0 knowing one thing: I was GOING to have a milk shake. I left the rest up to my spontaneity. Here is the recap (try not to throw up):

Within five minutes of waking up I was already out the door in search of donuts. I was in an unfamiliar part of Houston, but I knew that in the fattest city in the United States I was never far from a donut shop. Low and behold, I found some cookie cutter Asian-run donut shop at the first major intersection I pulled up to. I overordered (in case the family wanted to share), however my personal tally did not disappoint, ending up at two jalapeno sausage kolaches, two glazed donuts, a chocolate covered cinnamon twist and an apple fritter in addition to a pint of whole milk. Good breakfast.

After a few more hours of manual labor I set out on a quick errand and crossed paths with a Godfather's pizza. It had been a few hours since my morning sugar binge, so I decided to grab a quick bite solo at the neighborhood pizza buffet. It was only a one-rounder, but I'm sure that I was able to fit at least eight slices (almost all pepperoni jalapeno) on my plate. For the record, I DID have an iceberg salad with my meal, albeit with a gallon of ranch dressing.

When my shackles were unlocked and I was free to leave, I headed back to home sweet home Austin, Texas. After moving a fleet of furniture and a mountain of boxes over the course of the weekend I wanted nothing more than to sit on the couch with my shoes off and watch some TV. Luckily, tonight was the NBA All-Star game. Not that I am a huge basketball fan these days, but it seemed like just the appropriate selection of programming for a night of vegetation. First, I needed some grub. I snacked on a couple of herb biscuits (that I had been saving all week) with some grilled chicken and a cupcake when it donned on me that I had yet to have the milkshake that I had prophesied. By this point, maintaining the tradition of my weekly shake was almost as important to me as the experiment itself. I headed out for some milkshake ingredients as well as something else of a little more "substance." I settled on a Wendy's classic double cheeseburger to go along with what eventually became a banana cream pie milkshake. The secret recipe was this:

banana cream pie + vanilla bean ice cream + whole milk = ridiculousness

God damn, that was a good milkshake. Although I knew the pain was coming, at that moment, it was worth it.

1 comment: