Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day Eight: Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Wow, what a day! I woke up feeling light, alert and with an appetite after a downright mopey day yesterday. I started with a breakfast of stir-fried veggies and eggs:


Stir fry veggies
yield: 4 c

2 c broccoli, cut into florets
1 c white onions, 1" chunks
1/2 c zucchini, cut into half moons
1/2 c yellow squash, cut into half moons
1/2 c red bell pepper, 1" triangles
1/2 c shitake mushrooms, sliced
1 T tamari
1 T sesame oil

-Prep vegetables and preheat non-stick skillet.
-Saute veggies until brown and soft.
-Dress with tamari and sesame oil, toss. Serve.


I prepped a butt-load of these veggies so that I could access them quickly whenever I needed a speedy meal. The important part is that the pieces are all relatively the same size so they cook evenly. Tamari is a Japanese "soy sauce," or shoyu, a by-product of miso (fermented soy bean paste). It acts as our salt in this recipe, and coupled with a hint of sesame oil this veggie dish becomes totally umami! That's good.

After only snacking on some peanuts and poached salmon (not at the same time, that would be weird) into the afternoon I headed to Town Lake for a good long run. I met up with my buddy Taylor whom I had challenged the night before to a loop between I-35 and Mopac (7.1 miles). It felt great to get in a long run after a relatively long hiatus (I have shown a tendency to hibernate in the winter time). Afterwards, I treated my self to my first non-homecooked meal since this experiment started (besides cheat day 1.0): a Chipotle burrito bowl.Man, was it delicious! Carnitas, black AND pinto beans, grilled veggies, corn salsa, tomato salsa, romaine lettuce and guacamole...this meal rocked, and thanks to Chipotle's incredible website that makes calculating nutritional information a breeze I was able to calculate that this magical concoction only cost me 791 calories (less than I burned running).


If I may take a minute, I would like to formally profess my love for Chipotle. I love the way their burritos taste, their variety, and there simplicity. They use sustainable, fresh ingredients, and that quality really stands out in the taste of the finished product. The are pioneers in leading the way for the widespread use of sustainably produced foods in large scale restaurant chains. I could personally eat a burrito/tacos/bowl from Chipotle every day and not get tired of it. Long live Chipotle!

Taylor and I kept the good vibes from our run going by taking on a workout consisting of snatch-balances (7 sets of 3). It was a good supplement to the light fatigue I was starting to feel from running. For dinner I had another large helping of the tamari/sesame stir-fried veggies I had for breakfast. This time I added some sugar snap peas, sesame seeds and a few soy sauce soaked peppercorns that I received as a gift from a friend living in southeast Asia (actually, right now he's in Guam). They are absolutely delicious! I had a couple of bites of some leftover lamb vindaloo and curry lentils, but ultimately I couldn't stomach any more food and decided to shut down consumption for the day (that is, except for the two glasses of Napa zinfandel I took down before bed).


water: 10 c
coffee (1 c )
Yerba Mate (2 c)
fried eggs (2 ea)
stir fry veggies (5 c)
poached salmon (1 oz)
peanuts (3 oz)
Chipotle burrito bowl
(carnitas, veggies, black beans, pinto beans, salsa, corn salsa, romaine lettuce, and guacamole...EXCELLENT!)
lamb vindallo/curry lentils (4 oz)
wine (2 c)


I did stay up long enough to whip up a batch of make-shift borracho beans using the leftover beans from this past weekend's chili that I will enjoy tomorrow for breakfast with some eggs and veggies. I went ahead and used the remaining bacon that did not get dunked in chocolate on Super Bowl Sunday. I would have liked to have thrown in some jalapenos to the beans, but I didnt have any in stock so I supplemented the heat with tabasco and a few red chili flakes. Here is what the recipe would have looked like in an ideal world where I had all the right ingredients:


Borracho Beans
yield: 8 c
source: andy original

4 c pinto beans, cooked and drained
¼ # bacon, cut into lardons
1 c onion, diced
½ c red bell pepper, diced
½ c celery, diced
¼ c serrano peppers, seeded and sliced
2 T cumin, toasted
1 T chili powder
1 c roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
½ c scallions, thinly sliced
12 oz mexican beer (Pacifico)
6 c chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
2 T hot sauce (Chohula)
salt/pepper
¼ c cilantro, chiffonade

-cook pinto beans and drain, reserving only enough liquid to cover beans.
-cook bacon until all the fat renders out and it is crispy. drain fat, reserving for another use, and reserve bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. return pan to heat.
-saute onion until it just begins to caramelize. add red pepper and celery until soft.
-add serranos, chili powder and cumin and continue sauteeing until aromatic. add tomatoes and scallion. stir to combine.
-deglaze with mexican beer, scraping bottom of pan. when beer reduces by half, add chicken stock. bring up to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until desired bean-to-liquid ratio is achieved (at least one hour).
-season with salt, pepper and hot sauce and stir in cilantro. serve.


Tomorrow is going to have to be a shopping day since the fridge is starting to look pretty thin. I have some brussel sprouts that need eating and I think they would go great with some white flaky fish so I will make it happen tomorrow. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment