Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A few recipes from day 1

Here are a few of the recipes I concocted for the first day's meals:

Curried Cauliflower w/ Kale
Yield: 4c

1 ea cauliflower head, trimmed into florets
1 c onion, small dice
1 T olive oil
2 T special curry powder
2 c kale, chopped
1 c vegetable stock (or chicken stock)

-saute onions in olive oil until lightly browned. add cauliflower and curry powder, tossing to coat, until cauliflower begins to brown.
-add kale and stir to incorporate. when wilted, add stock, cover, and stew until cauliflower is soft.
-season with salt and pepper. serve
______________________________

Special Curry Powder
yield: 1c

6 T curry powder
1 T garlic powder
2 T cumin
2 T coriander
3 T turmeric
1 T ginger
2 t black pepper
1 t cinnamon
________________________________

Red Lentil Dahl
yield: 8 cups

2 c red lentils
1 T olive oil
1 c onion, diced
½ c red bell pepper, diced
½ c celery, diced
½ c carrot, diced
¼ c special curry powder
6 c veggie stock (or chicken stock)
¼ c cilantro, chiffonade
1 T black pepper
2 T salt
1 c tomatoes, seeded and chopped

-saute onion in olive until it begins to brown. add bell pepper, celery and carrot and saute until vegetables are soft.
-add lentils and spices, stirring to incorporate until spices give off aroma.
-add stock, bring to a simmer until lentils are tender.
-pulse dahl with an immersion blender a few times to create a thick consistency.
-add cilantro, season with salt and pepper. serve with tomatoes.
______________________________

Southwest Black Beans
Yield: 8 c

2 c black beans
1 T olive oil
1 c onion, diced
½ c red bell pepper, diced
¼ c serrano chiles, seeded and sliced
2 T cumin
1 T chili powder
¼ c cilantro, chiffonade
8 c vegetable stock (or water)
2 T salt
1 T black pepper

-bring black beans and stock to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 90 minutes.
-in another pan, saute onions in olive oil until just brown. add red bell peppers and serrano chiles and saute until soft. add cumin and chili powder, stirring until fragrant.
-add onion mixture to black beans and continue to simmer until beans are tender and liquid is thick.
-add cilantro, salt, and pepper. serve

1 comment:

  1. In my experience, the most important thing is to always have food ready to go. If I don't have something I can pop in the microwave, I'm really likely to eat out.

    I make sure and always have cooked meat and salad greens in the fridge and black beans in the pantry. This is an easy salad.

    Sauces are key. I go through about a jar or so of On The Border salsa per week. Frank's Red Hot sauce is another good one.

    For me, it's about simplicity. If I can make something quickly and easily, I can stay on track. If I'm going to eat something complicated, I go out. If I go out, I lose.

    Breakfast is the hardest part to get used to. To get to work on time, I'm forced to microwave eggs and beans in a bowl together. It grosses me out every morning, enough to curb my appetite.

    If you have a love of food like I do, this diet really stifles it. You don't eat anything that's really good: no cheese, nothing fried, no sandwiches, and nothing sweet at all. It's just the same kind of food repeated in various forms. But maybe that's the point.

    Happy farting.

    ReplyDelete