Thursday, February 3, 2011

Day Three: February 3, 2011

At the midway point of week one I am feeling great. My energy has been surprisingly high considering I have averaged 4-5 hours of sleep this week. It could be the absence of carbs or the tremendous quantity of coffee/yerba mate I've been drinking (or both!). Either way, everything is ship-shape so far.

I actually got a workout in today! Much appreciation to my buddy Ben for the personal training session. It was nothing huge, just a few kettle bell swings, crunches, pushups, shoulder presses (all in the confinement of my apartment due to the RIDICULOUSLY cold weather). It felt nice to get the blood flowing, but needless to say I cannot wait for this bullshit winter blast to end so we can all go outside again!

Three meals was all I could muster today. However, I don't feel cheated on my calorie consumption. These were some monsters (as the photos illustrated). Here was today's itemized menu:

water: 10 c
-coffee (2 c)
-yerba mate (3 c)
-eggs (3 ea)
-cottage cheese (1/4 c)
-sauteed onions/red pepper (1/2 c)
-turkey bacon (2 ea)
-curried cauliflower (2 c)
-lamb vindaloo (1 c)
-red lentil dahl (2 c)
-romaine (3 c)
-grilled chicken (4 oz)
-avocado (1/2 ea)
-roma tomato (1 ea)
-carrot (1/4 c)
-roasted poblano (1/4 c)
-salsa fresca (1/4 c)
-sw black beans (1 c)
-red wine (1 c)

I had a thought: despite the fact that I have been peeing every 30 minutes, I feel as though I need to drink more water. Ten glasses is a decent amount, but with all the coffee/tea going down my gullet and the massive amounts of protein I am consuming, I feel like I need to do better. We can't drink enough water, right? I will try to make this an area of focus and shoot for at least 14-16 cups tomorrow.

Another thought: I need to eat more vegetables. I am content with the discipline I've had thus far, resisting a few temptations and sticking to the letter of the law. However, as I glance at the list above what stands out to me is the quantity of animal protein I've consumed in relation to vegetables. Chicken, turkey bacon, lamb, not to mention the eggs, cottage cheese and even the avocado, stand out against the cauliflower, peppers, and lettuce. It's almost a 1:1 ratio! Where are the veggies!?! After all, this is a diet, isn't it? Although nothing on this list is against the rules, I am going to try and include one vegetarian meal per day to start. We'll see how that goes.

Full steam ahead into the weekend. Only two more days until the Super Bowl, and, more importantly, CHEAT DAY #1!!! I've already committed to making chocolate covered bacon for the game. I doubt that will be the worst of my damage. Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, way to go. No cheating, and I know you've turned down some potentially fatal sweets offered your way for free. Good job, doing better than we are for sure.

    I've read time and time again that the amount in grams of protein you need to take in is equivalent to your weight in kilograms. Make sure to include some legumes (or eggs) in your vegetarian meals, because consuming at least 85 grams of protein is gonna be tough without supplements, and tougher with one full vegetarian meal. I know that most of the green veggies (and cauliflower, which is considered a green veggie by Ferriss) have at least some protein, so maybe try and incorporate one or two of those into each veg meal?

    Suerte, amigo. Keep the good work coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I am destroying a massive quantity of lentils. I'll be honest, I made way too much. You're right, though. I need to stay on top of the protein consumption. Ben brought up another theory for my suppressed appetite: my humongous intake of caffeine! There's another reason to focus on the water intake I guess.

    ReplyDelete